Wednesday, January 13, 2016

Spending for the American Indian

  I stopped long enough to find out what was offered, and who paid for it, when I saw an urban Indian center in Salt Lake. And, though I see I've lost the sheet of paper outlining what was offered, it did offer medical care. A client I spoke with there was referred to a community medical center elsewhere in the valley, so I don't know that the doctoring is done right on site, but perhaps the payments are arranged.
  I winced when I learned where the funding comes: government.
  But, that is what I expected. And, as I consider on it, I am not so sure I oppose it. I'm told the American Indians receive free education and medical aid as a result of an agreement from the 1920s. I half oppose this, and half consider we owe them as much for taking their lands away.
  Why did I wince? We have a $18-plus-trillion debt. Everywhere I look, I see spending.

No comments:

Post a Comment