Sunday, January 24, 2016

Robert Cundick's Music

  In the spirit of hailing the talent your community possesses, I wish there had been a tribute concert of Robert Cundick's music. Cundick, one of the great musicians in LDS history, died two weeks ago.
  Now, there was a tribute concert for him in May of last year. And, that was timely, considering it ended up being in the last year of his life. And, to have a concert hastily put together after his death would have required quite an effort.
   Still, you sell something when it is most sellable. The best opportunity to forward his music comes in the wake of his death as there is talk of him and reflection on what he contributed. For his sake, and for his legacy, I find myself wishing there had been a presentation of the best of his works.
  I shuffled through some of his compositions on YouTube Friday. It was wonderful. I don't know that I found any songs that were stunning, but I found wonderful music, the same. He has two songs in the LDS hymnal, and I found one on YouTube, and listened to it, and recognized it. I judged it against the other songs I listened to of his and thought many of those other works were better.
  I found this of interest: He collaborated with LDS Apostle David A. Bednar in an oratorio called, God's Everlasting Love, he writing the music and Elder Bednar writing the words. The work was performed by BYU-Idaho choirs in a concert in 2009.

No comments:

Post a Comment