Sunday, January 24, 2016

Why not have Openness in all of Our Governance?

   I suggest there is no such need for meeting behind closed doors. I open my Deseret News and read a discussion of how the Republican legislative caucuses meet behind closed doors.
   I read an online comment, saying, "The closed caucuses are fine. . . . The closed caucuses are simply a private opportunity for the legislators to discuss and clarify party principles and priorities, so they will be better prepared for the session."
  I respectfully disagree. When making laws, the discussion is part of the process, whether that discussion is by the caucus or the full legislative body. It seems to me, if you represent someone, you should not object to their listening in what you are doing. The public's business should be done in public. Those things that are discussed in caucus are a huge part of the process. While it has been suggested the legislators want to be frank in their discussions, why cannot frankness be done in the open? Why can you not be frank with the public, as well as with your party colleagues? If "frankness" is saying something that shouldn't be said, it shouldn't be said in private, either.
  I also understand the fear the legislators might have of asking questions to learn, and not wanting to be viewed as not knowing something because they ask those questions. But, they need to feel less shame for the learning process, and more shame for not inviting the public to share in it.
  Anytime the majority of a governing body is present -- whether it is members of a caucus or select members of the full body -- that meeting should be open to the public. Indeed, I occasionally wonder if even one-on-one meetings with lobbyists should be open, for in a completely open form of government, they would be.
   Also, it should be said, the lack of openness is not just a problem on the state level. I think of the many meetings Congress conducts behind closed doors. And, as I consider Hillary Clinton Emailgate, I think of the strangeness that those emails should be open, yet so much of the rest of the process is closed, everything from the behind-the-doors meetings with lobbyists to the actual closing of Congressional meetings.
  No, I do not understand the need for going behind closed doors. I do not understand those who would justify it. Why not have openness in all of our governance?

No comments:

Post a Comment