Monday, January 4, 2016

Patriotism Sometimes Boils Down to Honoring a BLM Official

   The year is but days old before my New Year's resolution is tried. I resolved to stand up for America -- current version, the America of here and now --  when people tear it down. And, by that, I mean I resolved to defend our government
   Now, no sooner than the new year arrives than -- as if on cue -- along comes the siege of a wildlife refuge in Oregon by a militia. So, what are my thoughts?
   One thought is the same as what was offered by The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints in its statement. We are fortunate to live in a land where we can solve such differences through peaceful means.
   Bless our land. In many nations, through the course of world history, it has been standard procedure to try to rectify things through armed conflict. With democracy, that need not be.
   Nor do I feel the Bundy effort justified. Two people were convicted for lighting fire to federal land. It was a mistake on their part. They should not have done that on federal land. Perhaps they were correct in seeing what was best for the land, that it needed the burn. But, it was not theirs to make that decision. If you honor your leaders, you yield to their decisions. You can work with them, reason with them, and try to persuade them. And, even when they make a decision that goes against your wishes, you can continue imploring them to  change their mind.
   But, you honor their decision. To me, there is an edge of patriotism in this. Honoring government includes abiding by its decisions. Some will argue that BLM and other federal government officials are not worthy of being honored. I see it differently. I tend to believe the officials tend to be honorable people. And, I do not suppose that they must do everything my way.
   Patriotism isn't just honoring the founding fathers and the Constitution. It is honoring our leaders and government edicts today. Patriotism sometimes boils down to honoring a BLM official.

No comments:

Post a Comment