Wednesday, February 17, 2016

Do Away with Backroom Meetings

   I would that my state were the most open and transparent in the nation. That would entail the meetings being open. It would mean the Republican caucuses would no longer run to get behind closed doors.
   I wish even the lobbying process were open to the public. I think it would be wonderful if a few legislators, on their own, told lobbyists that they would love to meet with them, but only if the meetings were open to the public. The meetings would be videotaped and posted online.
   Backroom meetings? Do away with them. Do everything in view of the public. The public's business should be conducted in public.
   I pause, at this point, and wonder what meetings might should be behind closed doors. Off top, if the meeting is about legislation, I cannot think of any. If the meeting is about your election campaign or such, hold it behind closed doors whenever you like. But, if it is about legislation, no.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment