Friday, February 5, 2016

Does the Art of Sweating Lead to a Longer Life?

   If the art of sweating holds secrets to the art of long living, I say we are not studying it enough.
   I thought more on whether toxins can be emitted through sweat as I went jogging last night and tonight. What I'm reading on the Internet, says sweating out toxins is a myth.
   But, I wonder.
   I thought of my own sweat, of how it bleached color from a nice shirt. Then, I thought of how another item of clothing often gets holes eaten in it from my sweat. (Inasmuch as it is pertinent what item of clothing that is, as the sweat might have different elements there, I will have to say it is my shorts.)
   I also thought how we spread minerals and such on our skin, and the oils seep through and help heal our bodies. If something can seep in, then surely it can seep out. It has the power to pass through the skin. Of course, the toxins need to be released from the flesh before they can travel through the skin. Is there anything that would cause them to be released? Heightened blood pressure, maybe? The cardiovascular process when we exercise? The softening of the skin caused by the motion of exercising? (My brother gave me that one.)
   Bottom line, there might be more cause for an exercising person to emit toxins than there is for someone sitting in a sauna. All sweat might not be created equal.
   My brother also observed that sweat can smell different, depending on what we have eaten. I thought to verify this, and found online a quote saying, "A diet rich in spicy foods, onions or garlic, for instance, can cause such odors to travel through the bloodstream and enter sweat glands."
   So, if garlic and onions can come out in sweat, why not toxins?
   So, there is reason to suppose sweat can secrete toxins. A daily sweat might be a daily cleanse. It might have elements that can lead to better health, and, who knows, longer life. Studying sweat becomes something that could be important to us, to extending our lives. Are there analytical studies showing the composition of sweat from a person while running as compared to the sweat of a person while sitting in a sauna? Does sweat draw toxins from the flesh? From the bloodstream? From the intestines? (I doubt that last one.) If it is from the flesh, is it from the muscles or from fat, or from both? Does a severe sweat alter the chemical composition of the body, perhaps the pH balance?


No comments:

Post a Comment