Sunday, February 7, 2016

To the Team with the Bigger Dream, goes the Victory

   To the bigger dreamer, goes the victory. Though they be the underdog, if their dream is larger than that of their opponent's, victory is often theirs.
   When you teach them to dream, you teach them to win. You instill in them passion, drive, hope, and desire -- and those are the things that winning is made of.
  Yesterday, I blogged on BYU's home loss to Pacific, wondering if fear of failure had contributed to the defeat. Today, I opened my paper and learned how Pacific considered the game their post-season, of how it was their chance to play before an NCAA-tournament-sized crowd.
  I assume, they also felt that way before the game, although those were post-game comments.  I assume, the coach pitched the dream to them, told them this was their chance to play before 20,000 fans, and take it to a NCAA tournament caliber team, and end the Cougars' 17-game homecourt winning streak.
   Pitch a dream, earn a victory.
   On the flip side, BYU might have been reflecting on how last month they had lost to Portland just after upsetting Gonzaga. Now, having upset St. Mary's two nights earlier, were they running scared that they it might be deja vu against Pacific? Which team was playing for more, Pacific or BYU?
   The team with the biggest dream often triumphs.
   How does this apply to life? We will be limited in what we achieve if we relegate ourselves to what we have become. If we consider ourselves a 6-15 team (Pacific came into the game 6-15), we will not play better than that. If I, for example, consider only that I am a 61-year-old man, there are a lot of life goals I won't even set.
   But, if I continue to dream, I might yet do something with my life. The same with you. If you do not limit yourself based on what has happened, but build a dream, it might come true.

No comments:

Post a Comment