Tuesday, February 2, 2016

The Case of the Fundraiser for Veterans and the Ethics of it all

   When a candidate donates to a charity, can it be a way of buying their votes? I wondered, as the clerk at the convenience store suggested to me that the veterans appreciated the money Donald Trump raised for them in Iowa. Trump raised about $6 million for the veterans, with $1 million coming from his own pocket.
   Is this buying votes? When you give such money, are you giving it with the thought that those receiving the money might be more inclined to vote for you?
   Frankly, I do see it as a way of buying votes. The sentiment is not, "I'll give you $50 if you vote for me." But it is, "I'm giving you $50, and if you want you can vote for me." The candidate is giving money and he is aware the people receiving it are voters. He is hopeful they will want to show their appreciation by voting for him.
   Shall we consider this a big sin? In terms of what we are used to, in relation to how lobbyists buy influence and campaign contributors seek seek favors, it is within the realm of accepted practice.
   I wish that it weren't.

No comments:

Post a Comment