Monday, May 30, 2016

I Salute Those Who have Died in War, both Here and Abroad

   I honor the fallen dead, not the wars, on this Memorial Day. I honor the cause that brought our great nation to war, but not the wars, themselves.
   I seek both for freedom, which is the cause for which we went to war, and for peace, which would have kept us from war.
   And, I honor not only the fallen dead of America, but those who have fallen in other countries, even the countries we have fought against. I think of their loyalty to their nations, and think it not wrong, in most cases. Oh, for those who took up their guns relishing the opportunity of oppressing others, or opposing America -- they I do not honor (though I still lament their deaths). But to all the soldiers conscripted into duty, forced to fight, yes, I truly honor them, as well as those who willingly signed up, to support their countries, though deluded to thinking their cause was just. I honor them not for believing in a wrong cause, but for being brave enough to fight for that that they did think was good. There is honor in giving your life for that which you think is right.
  As much as any, I honor the 90,000 -- 146,000 who died in Hiroshima, and the 39,000 -- 80,000 who died in Nagasaki. These were the innocent, largely. They died that peace could be grasped, really. We administered death to them in hopes of ending the war and bringing peace to the world. Many of them perhaps did not overly support the cause of either side. They were but pawns and bystanders. They went to their deaths that peace would have birth.
   I think it not wrong to salute them, as part of my Memorial Day observation.
   I salute the 700 or however many refugees who perished in the Mediterranean Sea the past week. They died fleeing the ravages of war. They sought freedom with a sail instead of a sword, but they sought freedom. They, too, should I honor.

No comments:

Post a Comment