Tuesday, May 24, 2016

What if We Could Vote for None of the Above?

   A friend came up with a good proposal. If I thought he wouldn't mind mentioning him by name, I'd give him credit, for I like giving credit when ideas aren't my own.
   On the ballot, have the option of voting for none of the above.
   As much as ever, such an option would give voice to many of us this election year. Instead of searching for an alternative candidate, we could simply express our discontent by voting against all of the candidates.
   Such a vote would be meaningful. Hmm, and I wonder how we would transfer the votes to the Electoral College. If they were committed to voting for none of the candidates, that would make it possible that no one would be elected president, at least not by the Electoral College. The vote would then go to the House. I wish they, too, would be committed to voting for none of the above, but no such luck.
   But, just for fun, what would happen if no majority could be obtained when the House voted, nor when it went to the Senate? Now what would we do then? Put in the speaker of the House? Paul Ryan? I like that.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment