Thursday, May 26, 2016

Someone Wants a Photocopy, so We Call in a Lawyer?

  Wish I could have been at the UTA meeting Wednesday when UTA announced it was upping the fee for getting documents from $5 to $15. Within the last couple weeks, UTA annnounced it was closing a meeting to the public. Then, yesterday, I believe it was, UTA said it was reversing that and the meetings would again be open.
   Then, in the space of about a day, this.
   Wish I could have been there. It is amazing to me that they should do this. The news story says lawyers are involved in the records requests. I wonder if that is necessary. Someone wants a photocopy, so we call in a lawyer? My thought is: Just run over to copy machine and make a copy and be done with it. That's not $15 of work. In discussing this with someone, they reminded me liability is involved. Forgive, but I still say just copy the document and give it to the person without calling in a lawyer or doing any prep work. These should be public records, not records that need to be sanitized before the public can see them.  

No comments:

Post a Comment