Wednesday, May 11, 2016

Sometimes, to Stop a Movement, You Have to Start One

   A few days ago, Paul Edwards, editor of the Deseret News, wrote a lighthearted piece suggesting Lin-Manuel Miranda as a candidate for the presidency.
  I took the suggestion seriously.
  Miranda is the writer-actor-creator of Alexander Hamilton, the Broadway smash hit. One would not think that qualifies him to be president. Me? I do not greatly oppose our electing a person unseasoned in politics. I wonder but what such a person couldn't do the job just as well as a person from the political realm.
   Yes, I will confess that if I am willing to consider Miranda, I am desperate to find someone other than Donald Trump. We would have to look into Miranda first: Where does he stand on the issues and what is his character? But, I can see he has one characteristic that could make a difference:
   Populist appeal.
   Bernie Sanders and Donald Trump both fit into this category of candidates with populist appeal. I wonder but what any candidate to stop Trump would have to possess this characteristic.
   Sometimes, to stop a movement, you have to start another one.

No comments:

Post a Comment