Tuesday, April 18, 2017

If We Believe in Love, Why do We Ignore it?

   Give more money to education, perhaps, for that will show you are trying to help, trying to do something. But, I'm not so sure but what, when it comes to education, money is the placebo, while love is the cure.
   Pouring money into education will make us feel like we are doing something. And, it is true that money can help.
   But, laugh me away, if you will, that I should suggest love is the better answer. However much love the students feel, give them more. Amp up the love. I believe in the maxim, I don't care how much you know until I know how much you care. I hear of the reports on how love affects the development of children.
  In Nelson Rockefeller's words, "The most powerful force in the world is love." Others have probably said it slightly differently.
  If we believe these things, why do we not run to amp up the love? If we know -- if studies have shown -- love affects intelligence, why do we leave it behind when discussing what should be done to better our education system?
  Why all the talk on programs and tests and standards -- and no talk about the role of love? Those other things, too, might be helpful, but to leave out love is to leave out one of the most important elements of all.

No comments:

Post a Comment