Tuesday, July 26, 2016

Wildfire Abatement Districts, Take II

   How about irrigating our forests, not because the trees need the water, but to keep them wet to avoid wildfires?
   My brother tossed out this idea, as I was thinking about how to keep the trees wet to avoid forest fires. After I blogged this morning, I realized air lifting ocean water in California might not be the answer. Too much salt for the trees.
   I also got thinking on Utah. Perhaps we could tap into a lake, supposing the lake has spare water, with airplanes lifting the water back to the potential burn areas.
   Or, maybe the reason we don't do all this is because the forest administrators want the burns, relying on them. Seems to me, though, if they want burning, controlled burns work. Wildfires get out of control. Half of Antelope Island burned up this past week. Wasn't that a little much?
   But putting in irrigation systems? Maybe you couldn't do it everywhere. But, it might work in some areas. Tap into underground water when it is available. Put in pipelines that rise above the trees, and retract when not in use.
   I guess I wonder why we don't do some kind of preventative watering. Wildfires are not something we want, are they? And, why would not preventative watering be something we could do? Why shouldn't we do it?

No comments:

Post a Comment