Monday, July 18, 2016

Four Bullet Holes Thru His Coat and Two Horses from Under Him

   There have been embellishments around the story that apparently aren't true, but the basic story of George Washington escaping without a wound in the Battle of Monongahela 21 years before the Revolutionary War is true. Washington had four bullets pass through his coat and two horses shot from underneath him, yet he suffered no injury.
   The documentation comes from a letter to his mother, Mary Ball Washington, in which he wrote, "I luckily escapd witht a wound, tho’ I had four Bullets through my Coat, and two Horses shot under me . . ."
   I also learned tonight that Washington was never wounded in all his military career. A remarkable thing, as well. I did not have time to verify this, but it appears to be true.

No comments:

Post a Comment