Sunday, March 10, 2024

 

Not of Walls, Not of Wires

Freedom is not made of walls, and not made of wires
Its not a gate that locks you out, but one that lets you in
Freedom does not deny peace, nor refuse those who should seek it
And it does not deny you because of origin, or color of skin

If freedom were animate, if it were brought to life
If it were given a voice to speak
I wonder if it would whisper, whisper in the ears of man
I wonder if it would really say, Don't let them enter my land

Freedom stands with virtue, and it stands against all pride
It's neither foe to the poor, nor to those who pour in
And if it came to life on the eastern shore
It would lift a lamp to all those it stood before

It would take up the torch for those who monarchs reject
Yes, it would welcome the refuse, as well as the elect
And the words from its lips would say, Give me your poor
They would say, I'm not a wall -- I'm a golden door

No comments:

Post a Comment