Saturday, May 20, 2017

Does what Trump said in Firing Comey amount to a Confession?

What Trump said in letting James Comey go strikes me. If you are to confess not only that you discussed whether you are under investigation, but if what you say lends credence to the thought you tried to persuade Comey not to investigate you . . .
  You just don't use your power to get out from underneath an investigation. It is not only highly inappropriate and unethical, but a crime, obstruction of justice.
   So, when I opened Time magazine and read the words of Trump's message to Comey, in letting him go . . .
   I wondered how close they come to being  a confession. Read them, and decide if you agree or if you do not feel they are a veiled acknowledgement that he tried to persuade Comey not to investigate him.
   "While I greatly appreciate you informing me, on three separate occasions, that I am not under investigation, I nevertheless concur with the judgment of the Department of Justice that you are not able to effectively lead the Bureau."
   If Comey investigating him has nothing to do with Trump firing him, the words have no business in the message notifying Comey that he is fired.

No comments:

Post a Comment