Monday, July 24, 2017

Shopping for American-Made Articles has my Support

   "UTAH BORN, UTAH BREAD," says a sticker on my loaf of Grandma Sycamore's Home-Maid Bread.
   The shop-local theme draws me in, from time to time. I like supporting Utah businesses.
   So, what of putting Made in America stickers and decals on products, and supporting American businesses? I support buying American, enthusiastically.
   Which is to say, I regret the ill-thought out logic of a blog I published a week ago.
   I do believe it wonderful if a people -- a nation -- seeks to help those of other nations. I do believe the adage, love thy neighbor as thyself, should be applied to relations between countries. I do think it would be wonderful, glorious, if we sought the welfare of people in other nations even above our own prosperity. I do not back down on this view.
   (And, I acknowledge I am, of myself, not anywhere near reaching such an objective. What I do for those in other nations is pretty much zero.)
   But, I find no fault in buying local, in buying Utah, in buying American. I find it not a fault to support your own. A person can care about others, and a nation's people can care about the welfare of people in other nations, and still care about its own people, wanting its own people to prosper. Even if a nation were to care about the welfare of a people abroad more than it did its own, it would surely still care for its own.
 

1 comment: