Wednesday, July 26, 2017

Nothing gets done without a Lobbyist

   Nothing gets done without a lobbyist. No legislation makes it to the table unless a lobbyist cooked it up.
   Oh, forgive, but I do wonder. I wonder if there is such a thing as legislation that doesn't have a lobbyist behind it. And, I wonder if that is good, or bad.
   Or both.
   My mind chases back an hour, to when I was driving home, thinking about capitalism, wondering how it could be all so great when it is based on greed. Now, as I am here at home, I bring that thought with me into my thoughts on lobbying.
   All a lobbyist is, is a representative of capitalism. Oh, there are exceptions. Churches and other non-profits have lobbyists. But, primarily, a lobbyist is one who represents the interests of capitalism. That spins them in a friendly light, to most, as most believe strongly in capitalism. To them, Americanism and capitalism are all the same thing.
   I just wonder this: Is it healthy that all your legislation is directed towards making someone rich? All of it, or virtually all of it. Nothing gets done on Capitol Hill unless it benefits someones pocket book. Somehow, it seems a good system would try to sort out and focus solely on what is best for the American people. Don't get me wrong, corporations are part of what is good for the general public. But, our lobbying system makes them virtually the whole of it. It is the corporations who have our congress members' ears.
   I don't know that you want to take them out of the equation, but I wonder if there is a way of putting the general public ahead of them.

No comments:

Post a Comment