Friday, August 5, 2016

If U.S. Almost Nukes its Own People, We Deserve to Know about it

   Two years ago, the Deseret News published a story on the times nuclear weapons almost detonated on American soil.
   How many such accidents do you suppose there were? I don't know if the Deseret News caught up with them all, but there were 13 in the newspaper's listing -- 13!
   "13 times the U.S. almost destroyed itself with its own nuclear weapons," reads the Deseret News headline.
   As I have been blogging about classified information, I, of course, got thinking about it from that perspective. If such information is not classified, but rather shared with the media, each one of these incidents, on the day it happened, would have been major news.
   I don't believe the news should have been classified. I thank our government for eventually releasing the classified information, but I don't think it should have been classified to begin with. If you just about blew some of us to smithereens, yes, I think we have a right to know. What was the information classified? Because of a threat to national security? I beg to differ. National security was not threatened. We may have been embarrassed. That may have caused the classification.

Note: Blog added to the morning of 8/6/16.

http://www.deseretnews.com/top/2605/0/13-times-the-US-almost-destroyed-itself-with-its-own-nuclear-weapons.html

https://nsarchive.files.wordpress.com/2010/04/635.pdf



No comments:

Post a Comment