Monday, August 8, 2016

Is the Electoral College Meeting Open? Because I'd like to Attend

   I think I should like to go to this meeting, if it is open to the public. It seems it should be counted as one of the more significant meetings of the year, yet I don't know that anybody shows up to watch it. I don't know that anyone from the media even attends. Or reports on it.
   So, I could go, write my story and scoop (so to speak) all the newspapers and television stations. Don't quit reading News Travels Fast, because exclusive stories like this beckon and await you.
   I speak a little tongue-in-cheek, but I am somewhat serious. Though the Electoral College election is a formality, it still seems it should be significant enough that someone from the public, and someone from the media, should show up to monitor it. I read in Amendment XII that, "The Electors shall meet in their respective states and vote by ballot for President and Vice President . . ."
   That means there's a meeting of electors right here in Utah, probably right here in Salt Lake, and I don't know why I shouldn't be allowed to attend and cover it. I could monitor the process, gather quotes from some of the electors, find out if they are regulars, and ask them their opinions on the process. It actually might be a worthy story.


No comments:

Post a Comment