Tuesday, August 16, 2016

Lochte's Robbery? Bring in U.S. Investigators

   At this point, I'd bring in either the CIA, or, if there is a jurisdiction concern, bring them in through the U.S. Embassy. Ryan Lochte and three other Olympic swimmers say they were robbed at gunpoint. Rio officials, however, say they are finding little evidence  the event even took place. The suggestion seems to be that Lochte and the other swimmers fabricated it.
   Reading the story, I don't think so. And, that the Rio officials are taking that stance is troubling. If they were saying there is not enough evidence to find the criminals, that would be one thing, but to say there is not enough evidence to support the fact the crime ever took place? Like I say, that is worrisome.
   You need an investigation of the whole matter, including an investigation of the Rio police investigation. Maybe even an investigation of whether the Rio police often tosses off claims of crime from its own citizens.
   In other words, investigate whether there is police corruption in play.
   If the crime is considered out of jurisdiction for the FBI or CIA, per se, you could bring them in under the umbrella of the U.S. Embassy.
  According to an Associated Press story, here's how Lochte described the event when interviewed on NBC's "Today" show:
  "We got pulled over, in the taxi, and these guys came out with a badge, a police badge, no lights, no nothing, just a police badge and they pulled us over. They pulled out their guns. They told the other swimmers to get down on the ground. They got down on the ground. I refused, I was like we didn't do anything wrong, so I'm not getting down on the ground.  And then the guy pulled out his gun. He cocked it, put it to my forehead and he said, 'Get down,' and I put my hands up. I was like 'whatever.' He took our money. He took my wallet. He left my cellphone. He left my credentials."

No comments:

Post a Comment