Wednesday, August 24, 2016

Water, Water Everywhere in the Ocean, Yet We Drink Few Drops

   Count me among the lost as to why we don't use more ocean water. I mean, about 96 percent of the earth's water is in the ocean, yet desalinated water only accounts for less than a half a percent of human water consumption.
   I read how desalinating water is just too expensive. The cost can range from just under $1 to more than $2 to produce one cubic meter of desalinated water.
   I don't understand. I'm lost. Why the large expense. It seems you simply boil the water into vapor. Why should that be so expensive? I wonder but what focused mirrors or magnifying lenses or some other form of solar energy couldn't make this doable, inexpensive.
   I'm sure other people have wondered over this same question.

No comments:

Post a Comment